Design Terms – Event Lighting

This week we will continue our discussion about terminology commonly used in the event industry. Looking back at last week, we talked about terms often used when discussing event draping. Today we will explain some of the common terms used when talking about event lighting.

Uplighting – a wireless light that will throw light upward.  It is a simple way to highlight the features of a space and add color!

Pattern Wash – no, this does not involve soap and water (come on, I had to say it).  This is a way to add texture and depth to the ceilings or walls of your event space.

Gobo – usually made out of metal, is a stencil or template placed in front of a light to change the shape.  This is what we use to create pattern washes and monograms.

Monogram – think of this as your logo!  Typically, it is made up of initials and can be projected onto the dance floor or a wall.

Twinkle Lighting – also known as Christmas lights. We use twinkle lights when lighting backdrops and ceiling draping.

String Lighting – we like to call this bistro lighting. These are large bulbs that are often seen on patios.  This is a very popular service right now – and ours are dimmable!

If you are not sure, ask!

That just about covers it. If you ever hear us talking, and we use a term you are unsure about, ask! We are always more than happy to fill you in on the meaning – heck, we may even have a picture of it to show you a photo!

Until next time…